CHICAGO (CBS) — Two West Side men have been charged with burglarizing an electronics store on the edge of the Little Village neighborhood and smashing the stolen getaway van through a garage door – prompting police to open fire.

John W. Givens, 32, of the 3300 block of West Warren Boulevard, and Leland Dudley, also 33, of the 1500 block of South Kedzie Avenue, are both charged with burglary, possession of a stolen motor vehicle and felony murder.

READ MORE: CPS Reopens Schools To Kindergarten Through 5th Graders, But Situation Is Far From Normal

LISTEN: WBBM Newsradio’s Bernie Tafoya reports

Givens is also charged with aggravated battery to a police officer. Dudley was already wanted on a parole violation arrant.

Their third alleged accomplice, David Raynell Strong, 27, was shot and killed by police during the attempted getaway, Givens and Dudley were also shot by police, but survived.

But since the crime resulted in their alleged accomplice being killed, Givens and Dudley were hit with felony murder charges.

The trio of burglars hit Mike’s Electronics, 2459 S. Western Ave., and loaded the stolen merchandise into the gray van – which was parked inside the building and did not belong to the burglars.

READ MORE: 'I’m Pretty Appalled By It': Franklin Park Party Shows Attendees Without Masks And No Social Distancing

Police surrounded the building, located on the northeast corner of 25th Street and Western Avenue, after receiving a call about a burglary in progress around 2:30 a.m. Monday. Chicago Fraternal Order of Police spokesman Pat Camden said the officers ordered the suspects to come out of the building with their hands up.

The suspects did indeed come out of the building, but not in the way police asked.

“The three offenders got into the owner’s vehicle, which was parked inside the building, and instead of getting out, decided to ram through the garage door and into the street, striking a police officer,” Camden said Monday morning.

The suspects also hit a police sport-utility vehicle, Camden said.

The officers surrounding the building fired shots into the van to stop the suspects, Camden said. Strong, of the 1600 block of South Lockwood Avenue, died of multiple gunshot wounds as a result.

The officer they allegedly struck was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

MORE NEWS: Housewares, Restaurant Association Shows Cancel Chicago Conventions Because Of COVID

Givens and Dudley were both scheduled to appear in bond court Wednesday, but both remained hospitalized.