CHICAGO (CBS) — More medical tests are planned for this week for Francis Cardinal George, as he faces another cancer fight.
As WBBM Newsradio’s Steve Miller reports, the Archdiocese says it will release more information about the cardinal’s future schedule after the cardinal meets with his doctors.READ MORE: Driver Crashes At Touhy Avenue After Shots Are Fired At Car On Edens Expressway; Lanes Shut Down For Hours
LISTEN: WBBM Newsradio’s Steve Miller reports
First, though, the additional tests begin Cardinal George.University Of Chicago Police Officer Who Shot Man In Hyde Park Shootout Also Shot Student In 2018
On Monday, the Archdiocese released a statement, which says: the cardinal “rested at home this weekend and was actively engaged in a number of his administrative responsibilities. This week he will continue additional testing, participate in his annual retreat and maintain his previously scheduled public commitments.”
Cardinal George, 75, was diagnosed with bladder cancer in 2006 and underwent surgery in August of that year.
Dr. Dennis Pessis of Rush Medical College University speculates the latest cancer could have come from the earlier bout.
“It’s very likely this is a metastatic lesion from the bladder,” he said.MORE NEWS: Man Steals, Crashes Jeep With Two Young Girls Inside In Peterson Park
George, whose retirement had been imminent, has long been stoic about his lifelong health issues. He contracted polio at the age of 13.