UPDATED 08/24/12 10:33 a.m.

CHICAGO (CBS) — The search is on for two suspects who shot and wounded eight people in a drive-by shooting in the South Shore neighborhood.

As CBS 2’s Susanna Song reports, the victims, ranging in age from 14 to 28, were all shot in the incident in the 7800 block of South Essex Avenue. Police say the incident stemmed from an internal gang dispute.

The shooting was part of an especially violent night on Chicago’s West and South Sides. At least 19 people are recovering after being shot last night and this morning. A total of 13 of those people were shot within a half-hour period around 9 p.m.

In the South Shore incident, police say, two people inside a passing car opened fire around 9:15 p.m.

Eight people were shot and wounded. The Sun-Times Media Wire reports police say they include:

— A 28-year-old man, who was shot in the knee, and was taken in critical condition to Stroger Hospital of Cook County in critical condition;

— A 16-year-old boy, who was treated and released from Advocate Trinity Hospital with a gunshot wound to the foot;

Six more victims were reported in stable condition. They included:

— Another 16-year-old boy, who was reported in stable condition at Mount Sinai Hospital with a gunshot wound to the leg;

— A 20-year-old man, who was taken to Stroger with a gunshot wound to the leg;

— A 14-year-old boy, who was taken to Comer Children Hospital at the University of Chicago Medicine with a gunshot wound to the arm;

— Another 14-year-old boy, who was taken to Lurie Children’s Hospital with a gunshot wound to the leg;

— A 15-year-old boy, who was taken to Comer with a gunshot wound to the back of the neck;

— A 19-year-old woman, who was taken to Stroger with a gunshot wound to the arm.

About an hour after the shooting, a dozen police cars left the shooting scene and sped to the South Shore Motel, 8101 S. Stony Island Ave. Police with rifles surrounded the hotel, as they initially believed the gunmen were inside.

A car that was believed to belong to the suspects was also nearby. It was riddled with bullet holes and had blood on the hood, police said.

Police also found a trail of blood leading from the car to one of the rooms, the Sun-Times Media Wire reported.

By 1 a.m., police had called off the barricade situation, after SWAT team members entered the room and found no one inside. Surveillance video showed two men left just before officers arrived, but they did leave two guns behind, the wire reported.

Police do not know if the men were the ones responsible for the shooting, or if they were victims, the wire reported.

Police officers and bloodhounds also searched the surrounding area for suspects.

Police tell the Sun-Times two warring factions of the Black P. Stones have been fighting for about a month now at the site where the shooting happened.

In total, at least 19 people were injured in shootings between 5:15 p.m. Thursday and 1:45 a.m. Friday. The other shootings all happened on the South and Southwest sides, the wire reported.