CHICAGO (CBS) — Some students at a South Side high school became ill on Wednesday, after eating school lunches that had been contaminated with rat droppings.

Chicago Public Schools spokeswoman Marielle Sainvilus confirmed “a couple” kids got sick at Emil G. Hirsch Metropolitan High School, 7740 S. Ingleside Av., after eating hot school lunches.

READ MORE: NFL Week 13 AFC East Preview: CBS Boston's Levan Reid Calls AFC East Title Fight A Battle Of 'Big Brother Vs Little Brother'

Initially, there was a rumor that the food had been contaminated with rat poison, but Sainvilus said officials believe the food contained rat droppings.

“When the problem was brought to our attention, we took immediate steps to close the kitchen and to provide the students with cold lunches,” Sainvilus said in an email.

READ MORE: SportsLine Week 13 AFC West Picks: 'Denver Designed Well To Stop What Kansas City Does,' Says Larry Hartstein

After school is over on Friday, pest control will be at Hirsch to address the problem.

“Throughout the weekend, we will be at the school to ensure the problem has been fully eradicated, and that the kitchen will back in operation before the start of school on Monday,” Sainvilus said.

MORE NEWS: Jussie Smollett Trial: Defense Attorney Calls For Mistrial And Accuses Judge Of Lunging At Her; Judge Denies Claims And Motion

The sick students were expected to be okay.