CHICAGO (STMW) — Police shot an armed man who allegedly pointed a gun at them early Wednesday, shortly after he also pulled a gun on his stepfather at an Englewood home, according to a police union official.

It was the second police involved shooting in a 24-hour period.

READ MORE: Chicago Weather: Dry Sunday Morning With Isolated Showers Late In The Day

The 18-year-old man was running from police through a gangway by the home, when he turned toward officers with the gun in his hand, Fraternal Order of Police spokesman Pat Camden said of the 2:30 a.m. shooting.

As the man turned, a female officer opened fire, shooting him at least once, Camden said.

Not long before the shooting, police say they were called to the home, in the 6700 block of South Wolcott Avenue, because the 18-year-old and his stepfather were embroiled in an argument, Camden said.

Camden said officers left the home, believing the argument was resolved.

But just minutes later they were called back, after the stepfather reported to authorities that his stepson pulled a gun on him, Camden said.

When officers arrived back at the home, the younger man took off running out the back door. Officers gave chase, tracking him to the gangway where the shooting occurred, Camden said.

The man was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn with non-life threatening injuries, Camden said. No officers were injured and a weapon was recovered.

READ MORE: Chicago Weather: Rain Tapers Saturday Night, But More Scattered Showers Sunday

Officials for the Independent Police Review Authority say they are investigating.

The other police involved shooting occurred several hours earlier when police fired shots at a car after a motorist tried to run over at least one officer during a traffic stop.

No one was injured in that shooting, police said.

About 8:45 p.m. Tuesday police pulled over a vehicle in the 4600 block of South Normal Avenue, an authority said.

During the stop, the driver of the vehicle attempted to run at least one officer over, according to police.

Police fired shots at the vehicle in return, though no one was injured, including officers, an authority said.

Officials could not say how many officers were involved in the traffic-stop shooting.

Two people are in custody, police said, though charges are still pending. A weapon was also recovered at the scene.

MORE NEWS: At Least 16 People Shot, 1 Killed In Gun Violence In Chicago This Weekend

(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2012. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)