CHICAGO (STMW) — An off-duty Chicago Police officer shot and killed a man who grew combative after he was kicked out of Near West Side building controlled by the Chicago Housing Authority early Saturday.

The off-duty officer, who was working as security guard, shot 28-year-old Marion Horton about 6:45 a.m. inside the CHA building, located near the United Center, in the 1800 block of West Monroe Street, authorities said.

The officer had come to the aid of another security guard was attempting to get a sleeping Horton out of the lobby of the building, authorities said. The off-duty officer saw the security guard struggling with the man and stepped in to help her remove him from the building, Fraternal Order of Police spokesman Pat Camden said.

Afer the two re-entered the building, they noticed the Horton urinating on a truck outside, Camden said. An argument ensued when the off-duty officer asked Horton to leave.

When the officer eventually tried to place Horton under arrest, Horton knocked him to the ground before attacking the other security guard, ripping several braids out of her hair, Camden said.

The officer tried to pull Horton off the other security guard, but he was again knocked down by the enraged man, Camden said.

When it appeared Horton could get a hold of the security guard’s weapon, the off-duty officer drew his weapon, stating several times that he was a police office and the man was under arrest, Camden said.

After the man failed to yield, the officer shot him once in the chest, Camden said.

Horton, of the 400 block of West Division Street, was taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County where he was pronounced dead at 7:12 a.m., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.

The police Independent Review Authority was investigating the shooting, spokesman Larry Merritt said.

(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2013. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)