CHICAGO (CBS) — Four people have been charged in the shooting death of a nine-year old boy last month in the Grand Crossing neighborhood.
Antonio Smith was shot at least four times Aug. 20 while he was in a yard along the 1200 block of East 71st Street on the South Side — the youngest victim of Chicago’s gun violence so far this year.
Charged in connection with the killing were Derrick D. Allmon, 19; Michael D. Baker, 19; and 19-year-old Jabari Williams, and a fourth, 19-year-old Paris Denard., Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said Friday. The four suspects were ordered held without bond in court Saturday.
All four face a count of first-degree murder, while Williams also faces a count of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon.
McCarthy, in announcing the charges, say the three named suspects are gang members who were driving around the day of Smith’s murder. They were “looking to shoot members of an opposing gang,” McCarthy told reporters.
When Williams gave a gun to Allmon, a parolee, and instructed him to shoot two potential rivals. That’s when Smith, the young victim, came along.
“Believing that Antonio Smith was yelling a warning to his intended victims, Allmon shot Antonio Smith multiple times, wounding him fatally,” McCarthy said.
Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez gave no reason for Allmon allegedly shooting Smith, refusing to comment on a report that the boy was attempting to warn other gang members.
She says there’s no proof Smith was ever in a gang.