Health coach Robin McGowan shares some recipes for healthy tailgating. For more information, visit www.journeytoahealthieryopu.com.
Jalapeno PoppersREAD MORE: COVID-19 In Illinois: Full List Of Mass Vaccination Sites With More To Open Thursday; 2,104 New Coronavirus Cases, 44 More Deaths
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
Yield: 2 servings. Per serving: 1 Leaner | 3 Green | 1½ Condiments
4 oz 95-97% lean ground beef*
6 whole jalapeno peppers (or mini sweet peppers)
4 oz (½ cup) low-fat plain Greek yogurt
4 oz (1 cup) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
3 medium scallions, sliced thin
1 large red bell pepper, diced fine
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp cumin
¼ tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp paprika
*To make vegetarian, substitute beef with 1 cup cooked MorningStar Farms®
Sausage-Style Recipe Crumbles.
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside.
2. Cook ground beef in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat until done (internal temperature of 160°F). Set aside.
3. Cut jalapeno peppers in half lengthwise. Remove seeds and membrane.
4. Combine beef, yogurt, cheese, scallions, red pepper, and spices in a medium bowl.
5. With a spoon, fill jalapeno pepper halves with cheese mixture.
6. Place the peppers, cut-side up, on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Fajita Chicken Dip
• 1 1/2 cup Cottage Cheese, 1%
• 1 cup Raw Cauliflower
• 1 cup Raw Celery
• 1 cup Raw Peppers, Green
• 1 cup Raw Peppers, Red
• 1 tbsp Raw Scallions
• 16 olives Olives, Black
• 1 Low Sodium Fajita Seasoning Mix
• 4 oz Cheese, cheddar, reduced fat, shredded
• 2 cup Cooked Tomatoes, diced
• 3 ounce Avocado
• 12 oz Chicken, breast, boneless, skinless
• 2 tsp Lemon or Lime Juice
Additional Notes to Ingredient List:
Try canned diced tomatoes with green chilies for a little extra flavor.
1. Shred already-prepared chicken.
2. In a food processor, blend cottage cheese until smooth.
3. Combine chicken, cottage cheese, fajita mix, cooked tomatoes,and lemon or lime juice in a bowl and mix together.
4. Transfer mixture to a baking dish. Top with cheese and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly with cheese melted on top.
4. Garnish with scallions, avocado, and olives. Serve with non-starchy veggie dippers listed or other low carb veggies of your choice.
Each serving provides approximately 1 lean, 1 green, 1 healthy fat, 3 condiments.