(CBS) Sexual assault allegations preceded Rasheed Sulaimon’s dismissal about a month ago from Duke, and athletic department leaders that included coach Mike Krzyzewski had been aware of the complaints since March 2014, the school newspaper The Chronicle reported Monday morning.

On Jan. 29, Sulaimon became the first player in Krzyzewski’s 35-year tenure to be dismissed from the Duke basketball team. No specific reason was given at the time, other than Sulaimon was “unable to consistently live up to the standards required to be a member of our program.”

READ MORE: Chicago Weather: Wind Chill Advisory In Effect, Wind Chills To Drop Well Below Zero

On Monday, The Chronicle shed more light on his exit, reporting that two women alleged that Sulaimon sexually assaulted them during the 2013-’14 school year. Neither filed an official complaint with the police or the school’s student conduct office, but the Chronicle reported that members of the athletic department knew about the allegations as early as March 2014, about 10 months before Sulaimon was dismissed.

The women didn’t pursue charges against Sulaimon for fear of vitriol from the Duke fan base, the student newspaper reported.

READ MORE: Many Chicago Area Schools To Close Or Go Remote Wednesday Due To Extreme Cold

On a conference call with reporters Monday morning, Krzyzewski declined to comment on the report multiple times.

Some details from the Chronicle:

In October 2013, a female student said in a large group session at the student-led diversity retreat Common Ground that Sulaimon had sexually assaulted her, three retreat participants said. At the following semester’s Common Ground retreat beginning in February 2014, a second female student said she had been sexually assaulted by Sulaimon, according to four retreat participants.

Common Ground is a four-day retreat in which students discuss identity — including issues involving race, socioeconomic status, gender and sexuality — through interaction with other participants, discussion groups and personal narratives. The retreat is held once each semester, with 56 participants selected from a student applicant pool.

MORE NEWS: City Urges People To Call 311 And Get To Warming Centers If Necessary As Dangerous Cold Settles On Chicago

Read the full story here.