CHICAGO (CBS) — A gas man break overnight forced several people out of their homes in the South Shore neighborhood.

The leak happened just before 11 p.m. near 80th Street and Crandon Avenue.

READ MORE: Bookings For Airbnb 'Home Alone' House Opens Tuesday

Residents reported hearing a loud booming noise, followed by hissing sounds, and a very strong odor of gas.

A 20- to 24-inch underground main was leaking, filling the air with the smell of gas, and creating some tense moments as neighbors were told to evacuate their homes.

Police and firefighters also shut down vehicle and pedestrian traffic in the area, and the Fire Department laid out hoses in case a fire broke out.

A warming bus was provided as residents waited for the okay to return to their homes.

READ MORE: You Can Give Holiday Greeting Cards To Residents At An Aurora Homeless Shelter

Some residents said they were sickened by the fumes.

“It was like a really strong aroma of gas coming all through the house. So I quickly went downstairs, and woke up all of my family, and then told them we had to get out, the fire department was knocking on the door,” Anthony Sims said.

According to neighbors, Peoples Gas crews recently have been working on the block, and this was the second time the gas main has leaked. Peoples Gas said it shut down gas service during the incident.

Service was restored early Thursday morning, and residents were allowed back in their homes, though Peoples Gas crews remained on the scene as a precaution.

MORE NEWS: Jussie Smollett Returns To Witness Stand, Again Denies Hiring Osundairo Brothers To Stage Attack; 'There Was No Hoax'

The neighborhood is immediately behind South Shore Hospital, but there was no impact to the medical center, and no injuries to report.