KANKAKEE (CBS) — A 23-year-old convicted murderer who escaped from a jail in Kankakee on Wednesday was caught Friday night by Chicago police officers, reports WBBM’s Mike Krauser.

Kankakee County Sheriff Tim Bukowski says Kamron Taylor was armed with a hand gun when he was arrested, presumably the one he took from a correctional officer early Wednesday when he overpowered the guard, put on his uniform and walked out of the jail, getting buzzed through three doors by other officers.

READ MORE: Chicago Police Union President Urges Aldermen To Repeal Mayor's Vaccine Mandate For City Workers; 'This Tyrant At The Top Needs To Stop What She’s Doing'

Taylor was caught in Chicago at around 9 p.m. after a five block foot chase as officers investigated a suspicious person around 92nd and Stony Island.

“It was a good arrest, and it got a whole lot better when we found out what was really going on,” said Chicago police officer Matthew Kozlowski.
The sheriff says he wasn’t cooperating and suspicions by the Chicago officers were confirmed by a tattoo.

“An unusual name was on that tattoo, Gertrude I believe, so it is not a common name to have tattooed on your neck,” said Sheriff Bukowski.

The sheriff said Taylor was not in his cell at lockdown on Wednesday and surprised the officer. He believes Taylor thought he strangled the officer to death.

READ MORE: CBS 2 Vault: Serial Killer John Wayne Gacy Talks Exclusively With Walter Jacobson In 1992 Series Of Special Reports

“Probably is going to be charge added to his extensive criminal history of another attempted murder,” Bukowski said.

The officer’s condition is improving. The sheriff says if everyone at the jail followed protocol, Taylor would not have escaped.

“We’re going to continue that investigation…little premature to come out right now and say what we think went wrong,” Bukowski said.

Taylor now faces additional gun possession charges and was denied bond court in Cook County Saturday.

CBS 2’s Suzanne Le Mignot reports Taylor had a defiant look on his face in bond court Saturday. When the judge called Taylor into the courtroom, he used the name Tryeon Terrell Smith, the same alias he gave to police after his arrest near 92nd and Stoney.

He will be turned over to Kankakee County at a later time where he may face additional charges.

MORE NEWS: Chicago Weather: Rain Totals From Sunday And Monday Storms

The Kankakee County Sheriff’s office also says that Taylor’s aunt, Tonya Grant of Kankakee, was arrested and is charged with obstructing justice and aiding Taylor’s escape. Her bond was set at $150,000.