CHICAGO (CBS) — A group of six black men has filed a federal lawsuit against the city of Chicago, Police Supt. Garry McCarthy, and 14 unnamed police officers, alleging so-called “stop and frisk” procedures are unconstitutional.
Rev. Paul Jakes, a politically active minister, said African Americans in some neighborhoods suffer mistreatment similar to apartheid-era South Africa; as they are stopped and checked for papers, even if they are doing nothing wrong.READ MORE: Summit Seeks To Help Latino Community Fight Alzheimer's And Stigma Against It
Civil rights attorney Anthony Romanucci has filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of six black men — Darnell Smith, Darren Nathan, Gregory Davis, Jeff Coleman, Phillip Overton, and Marque Ross — challenging the Police Department’s use of “stop and frisk” tactics. The men claim they were stopped and frisked without any probable cause, or reasonable suspicion that a crime had been committed.
The lawsuit seeks class action status on behalf of anyone who has been the subject of stop and frisk tactics. The complaint names the city, McCarthy, and 14 “John Doe” police officers as defendants; and seeks unspecified monetary damages, and an injunction barring police from continuing the policy.
Romanucci said there were 250,000 such stops made in just one four-month period in Chicago.
“This stop and frisk policy was borne out of policing that is not correct. It’s unconstitutional, it’s illegal, and it’s improper. Other cities across this country have brought similar lawsuits, and have had good results,” he said.READ MORE: Pierogi Fest Kicks Off Friday In Whiting, Indiana; ‘It’s A Lot Of Fun, A Lot Of Food, Good Entertainment’