Updated 11/30/15 – 6:02 p.m.
CHICAGO (CBS) — A Chicago police officer charged with killing 17-year-old Laquan McDonald is now out of jail after posting bond late Monday afternoon.READ MORE: Chicago Weather: Sunny And Dry With A Gradual Warmup
After watching the video of the teen’s death last October in court, Cook County Judge Donald Panarese Jr. set Jason Van Dyke’s bail at $1.5 million, meaning he had to post $150,000 in cash to be released.
He posted bond and walked out of jail after 5 p.m. and made his way through a sea of reporters and photographers with the aid of friends and union officials escorting him to a vehicle.
Van Dyke had been held without bail since he was charged with first-degree murder last week. At a bond hearing last Tuesday, Cook County Judge Donald Panarese Jr. said he wanted to review the police dashboard camera video recording of the shooting before setting Van Dyke’s bail.
Two police officers and four armed guards escorted Van Dyke in the court room during the bond hearing, and his attorney Dan Herbert says they were most likely there as a precaution.
“I think the sheriff does a good job and he knew that this case has a lot of extenuating circumstances, namely the protesters and the amount of media so I think the sheriff was most likely taking all of the precautions he could,” Herbert said.
The FOP defended Van dyke, as it did the night of the shooting.
“I think officer Van Dyke steps into his training mode and takes action that he believes that at the time was justified,” said FOP Lodge 7 President Dean Angelo.READ MORE: At Least 5 People Killed, 45 Wounded In Gun Violence In Chicago So Far This Weekend
Van Dyke has been charged with first-degree murder in McDonald’s death. As condition of the bond set by the judge, Van Dyke has to surrender his FOID card and all firearms to law enforcement.
In the video of the shooting on Oct. 20, 2014, Van Dyke is seen exiting his car with his gun drawn and approaching McDonald. His first shot spins McDonald around and he collapses in the middle of Pulaski Road. The video shows McDonald walking away from the officer as Van Dyke moved closer before shooting.
Once McDonald is down, the shooting continues. After the initial shot, the video doesn’t show Van Dyke actually firing, but puffs of smoke rise from McDonald’s body, evidence of several more shots. McDonald is seen lying on his side in the road, twitching from the impact of the bullets.
After Van Dyke stopped shooting, his partner is seen kicking a knife away from McDonald’s body.
In the autopsy report, the medical examiner said the teenager suffered 16 gunshot wounds.
McDonald was armed with a knife and reportedly under the influence of PCP, but did not lunge at officers as police union officials initially claimed. Although authorities have said at least eight officers were on the scene at the time, only Van Dyke opened fire.
The release of the video sparked a series of protests across the city, including a march along Michigan Avenue on Black Friday, prompting the temporary shutdown of Water Tower Place and several other stores.MORE NEWS: Fight Over Counterfeit Tickets Sends 3 People Crashing Through Window At Congress Hotel Near Lollapalooza
Protesters have called for Police Supt. Garry McCarthy and Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez to resign over their handling of the case.