CHICAGO (CBS) — The family of a young black man shot and killed by Chicago police in October 2014 has repeated their demand that the city release dashboard camera video of the shooting, a week after authorities released video of the shooting death of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald.
Ronald Johnson, 25, was shot and killed eight days before McDonald, but his death has not received the same public attention.READ MORE: Supt. Brown On Making Improvements Within CPD After His First Year On The Job: 'We Have To Gain The Community's Trust'
On Tuesday, Johnson’s mother accused the Police Department of covering up her son’s death.
At her family attorney’s office in the West Loop, Dorothy Holmes said the video of her son’s death will show he was unarmed, and – similar to McDonald – walking away from police, not toward them, when he was shot.
She said an autopsy revealed her son was shot in the back on Oct. 12, 2014.
Holmes filed a federal lawsuit against Officer George Hernandez and the city last year, claiming dashboard camera video shows Johnson never pointed a weapon at police, was moving away from Hernandez, and was not an imminent threat to officers when he was shot.
Police have said Johnson pulled a gun during a chase in the 5400 block of South King Drive, after officers responded to a call of shots fired one block away.
Holmes’ attorney, Michael Oppenheimer, said he’s seen the video of the shooting, and “I’m 100 percent certain Ronald Johnson had nothing in his hand.”