CHICAGO (CBS) — Authorities have named the two shooters who killed 14 people and wounded more than a dozen others in a gun massacre in San Bernardino, California, on Wednesday, and one of the pair was born in Illinois.

San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan identified the suspects as 28-year-old Syed Rizwan Farook, and 27-year-old Tashfeen Malik. They were killed in a shootout with police after a brief chase.

Malik’s brother, Farhan Khan, said the couple was married two years ago, and had a six-month-old daughter. Khan said he was in shock.

“Why would he do that? Why would he do something like this? I have absolutely no idea, I am in shock myself,” he said.

RELATED: Local Security Expert Calls Attacks Puzzling

Hussam Ayloush, executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations in Los Angeles, said Farook was born in Illinois, and raised in California. Farook’s parents are originally from Pakistan.

On an Internet dating profile created six years ago, Farook said he was born in Chicago.

His former address is an apartment building in the Albany Park neighborhood. It appears he lived there only a short time as a child in the 4800 block of North Springfield Avenue.


Farook’s parents divorced, with his mother accusing the father of being an “abusive alcoholic” and saying he was “verbally and physically harassed” and that the father refused to leave the home.

Farook was a graduate of California State University in San Bernardino, and had a bachelor’s degree in environmental health.

He worked as an environmental specialist at the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health for the past five years, and attended a holiday party on Wednesday, but left early in a rage before returning with his wife – both clad in military-style body armor – and opening fire on Farook’s co-workers.

Police said 14 people were killed and 21 were wounded in the attack. Most of the victims were in a conference room where the party was held. Many locked themselves in offices and sent texts to loved ones.

Farook and Malik died a few hours later in a gun battle with police, who found their SUV a few miles from the crime scene.

Police said a third person was detained after running from the scene of the massacre, but it was later determined he was not a suspect or person of interest in the shooting. He was, however, booked on an unrelated warrant.

Authorities have not determined a motive for the shooting.

“We do not have any identification on who those suspects are, we do not have any motive for the shooting at this point,” said Burguan. “The only information I have at this point is they came prepared to do what they did and that they were on a mission.”

The FBI said it has not ruled out terrorism.