INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Indianapolis says it has brought a Syrian refugee family into the state despite Republican Gov. Mike Pence’s request that it not do so.
Archbishop Joseph Tobin says the family arrived safely in Indianapolis Monday night.READ MORE: CPS, CTU Still In Talks Over Teachers' COVID Safety Concerns
Tobin met last week with Pence to discuss the governor’s order blocking state agencies from assisting Syrian refugees following the deadly Paris attacks last month. Pence said he asked Tobin to not resettle the family in the state.
Tobin said in a statement released Tuesday morning that he “prayerfully considered” Pence’s request but decided that assisting the refugee couple with two small children was an “essential part” of the Catholic church’s identity.READ MORE: Man Taken Into Custody After Barricade Situation In Morton Grove
A spokesman for Pence said the governor respectfully disagrees with Tobin’s decision. Pence’s spokesman, Matt Lloyd, said Tuesday that the Republican governor’s top priority is the safety of the people of Indiana and that his order blocking state agencies from assisting Syrian refugees will remain in place. Pence issued the order three days after the deadly Paris attacks last month.
Lloyd said the governor still believes the screening of Syrian refugees must be improved before Indiana agencies will assist with resettlements.MORE NEWS: Bomb Squad Investigating Suspicious Package In South Austin
(TM and © Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)