(CBS) — A judge is ordering the city of Chicago to preserve all documents, videos and audio recordings from last month’s deadly police shooting of Quintonio LeGrier and Bettie Jones.
The unusual ruling comes after a top city lawyer resigned for withholding evidence in a previous deadly-force case.READ MORE: Chicago Bears Reportedly Expected To Sign Chiefs Exec Ryan Poles As New GM
LeGrier, a college student, was allegedly acting in a threatening manner, while Jones was accidentally shot while opening her door to officers, police have said. Officers were responding to a domestic disturbance call.
Lawyers for the families of LeGrier and Jones are frustrated the city won’t identify the officer who killed the two.
“What is the officer’s name? My clients have asked. They are interested. People who are interested in this case want to know who the officer is, what his background is, what his training is,” says Larry Rogers Jr., representing Jones’ family.READ MORE: University Of Chicago Holding Safety Meeting In Wake Of Violent Crimes Near Campus
Adds Bill Foutris, attorney for LeGrier’s family: “We want to make sure we get everything to make sure that nothing will be destroyed, to make sure the investigation is conducted properly.”
It’s likely we’ll learn the officer’s name later this month. The city must turn over documents on Jan. 20.
The family lawyers say they’ll share all of it with the public right away.MORE NEWS: St. Charles Woman Files Suit Against Dog Owners, Says Rottweilers Attacked Her 'Like A Chew Toy'
–CBS 2 Political Producer Ed Marshall