(CBS) In the difficult weeks that followed running back Matt Forte’s exit from the Bears franchise, the eight-year veteran took the high road.

It was just last week while speaking in a teleconference after signing with the Jets that Forte spoke of the Bears’ business decision.

“I figured they would at least offer me something mid-to-low range of the free-agent market,” Forte said. “For them to tell me that they don’t want you back is always kind of a hard pill to swallow. But you roll with the punches — that’s their decision — and you move on.”

But then came a tweet Wednesday, in which Forte was prompted to touch on the departure and specifically how the Bears have targeted running backs in free agency, including 25-year-old Broncos running back C.J. Anderson. He expressed a little more displeasure.

Forte’s second in most Bears rushing categories, trailing only the great Walter Payton, and rushed for 898 yards in 13 games in 2015.

Still, Forte is 30, and second-year Bears general manager Ryan Pace wanted to move forward with the team’s younger running backs.

“Really it was just the confidence we have in our younger backs and treating (Forte) with respect,” Pace said at the NFL Combine in February.

“These are thorough, thoughtful discussions. And, honestly, emotional sometimes.”