CHICAGO (CBS) — An 18-year-old woman was shot and killed in the Brainerd neighborhood while attending a vigil for a man who had been slain on the same block one day earlier.

Two 17-year-old boys also were injured when shots were fired during the vigil Sunday evening in the 8900 block of South Justine Street.

READ MORE: Memorial Held For Beloved Barber Gunned Down On The Job In Lawndale

Around 8 p.m. Sunday, 18-year-old Shantell “Keekee” Fleming was among a group of people attending a vigil for 23-year-old Nahmar Holmes, who was gunned down less than 24 hours earlier.

As mourners gathered to pay tribute to Holmes, they found themselves in a hail of bullets.

Holmes’ stepfather, Pierre Curry’s stepson, was inside when he heard the gunfire Sunday night.

“I heard pop, pop, pop, pop; and I ran and I said ‘No, not again,’” he said.

When he got outside, his worst fears were realized. His son had been shot at his stepson’s vigil.

“I ran downstairs. I saw him laying. Then I saw the young lady laying there. I done started shaking. I said ‘Not again. My son! My son!’,” Curry said.

READ MORE: Goodman Theater Opens For The First Time In More Than A Year

His son and another 17-year-old who was shot were expected to survive, but Fleming did not.

Nahmar Holmes (Source: Facebook)

Nahmar Holmes (Source: Facebook)

Saturday evening, Curry watched his stepson die leaning against a bullet-riddled fence, after Holmes was shot multiple times around 5:20 p.m.

“He was leaning up on the gate,” he said. “His mother said, ‘Pierre, that’s my baby.’”

Fleming’s mother was too distraught to talk Monday morning, so her fiancé, Darren Phillips, spoke on her behalf.

“It’s very hard man. You know, second day in a row. Just ready to wake up from the nightmare. Just thinking I’m sleeping and it’s a dream ,” he said.

Phillips said Fleming had big dreams and big potential.

“Your next Maya Angelou; your next Michelle Obama; a good life, good person, full of joy – that’s what we lost,” he said.

MORE NEWS: Do You Remember Chicago's Deadly Heat Wave At The End Of July In 1999?

So far, police have made no arrests in either killing.