CHICAGO (CBS) — The kids are off school, so why not jump on board Metra to see a variety of holiday events happening in the city.
Metra is extending its weekend “Family Fares” program to weekdays during the last two weeks of December.READ MORE: Brent Seabrook Ending Playing Career After 15 Years With Chicago Blackhawks
Up to three children aged 11 and under can ride free with each adult from Dec. 17 through Jan. 2, according to Metra.
“We want to make it as easy and stress free as possible for families to experience the magic of the holiday season,” said Metra Executive Director/CEO Don Orseno, in a statement. “Leave the driving to us and let one of our safe, comfortable, reliable and cost-effective trains take you to your holiday destination.”READ MORE: Man Falls On Red Line Platform In Rogers Park, Dies After Train Strikes His Head
In addition, Metra is extending its “Weekend Pass” to cover each of the three-day holiday weekends, Dec. 24-26 and Dec. 31-Jan. 2. The pass is offered for $8 and provides unlimited rides on Metra.
Metra compiled a list of family-friendly holiday events that are easily accessible by Metra.MORE NEWS: Lincoln Park Zoo Reopens Friday
– Maxwell Street Market
– Ice Skating in Millennium Park
– Skating Ribbon in Maggie Daley Park
– Santa Claus in Millennium Park
– Christkindlmarket Chicago
– Caroling at Cloudgate
– Zoolights at Lincoln Park Zoo
– Flower and Train Show at Lincoln Park Conservatory
– Christmas Around the World and Holidays of Light at the Museum of Science and Industry
– Joffrey Ballet – The Nutcracker
– Winter WonderFest
– New Year’s Eve Fireworks – Navy Pier
– New Year’s Eve – Chi-Town Rising