CHICAGO (CBS) — The man who asked repeatedly for a state investigation into the Sterigenics plant in Willowbrook was remembered Saturday at a vigil in Elmhurst.
Hundreds came out to honor Matt Haller, who died of stomach cancer in March. Saturday would have been his 46th birthday.READ MORE: 'You Can’t Even React': CPD Says One Group Is Responsible For At Least 12 Armed Robberies
Haller wanted everyone to see the pain he was going through, and he was featured in many of CBS 2’s exclusive investigations into ethylene oxide emissions in Willowbrook.
The Environmental Protection Agency ultimately put a seal order on the plant which sterilizes medical equipment.READ MORE: 1 Man, 1 Child Shot In Dolton
Haller is survived by his wife Colleen and his son Cullen.
A GoFundMe page has been created to support the Haller family.MORE NEWS: Eviction Moratorium Update: Without An Extension, What Happens To Renters After July 31?
- Illinois State Health Department Report Shows Higher Than Normal Number Of Cancer Cases Near Sterigenics
- Sterigenics Statement Regarding the Illinois Department of Public Health’s Cancer Incidence Report
- Matt Haller, 45, Is First Litigant To Pass Away After Filing A Lawsuit Against Sterigenics: ‘To Think This Company Could Have Literally Been Behind My Death Is Shocking’
- Former Sterigenics Worker Tells Of Leaking Ethylene Oxide At Plant
- Sterigenics Loses Round One At Federal Hearing Against Illinois EPA
- Illinois EPA Orders Sterigenics To Halt Sterilization Operations Using Ethylene Oxide
- Members Of Congress Call For Criminal Probe Into Sterigenics Following CBS 2 Investigation
- Sterigenics Allegedly Covered Up Toxic Emissions, Operated Secret Plants, Former Workers Say