CHICAGO (CBS) — Several homes in the Chatham neighborhood were evacuated Thursday morning, and a nearby school was placed on lockdown, due to a large natural gas leak.
Fire Department officials said a construction crew struck a gas main in the 600 block of East 91st Place, prompting a Level 2 Hazardous Materials response shortly before 9 a.m.
A few seniors who live in nearby homes were being evacuated, according to the Chicago Fire Department.
A nearby school also was placed on lockdown, and told to shelter in place.
The gas leak was repaired by about 10:45 a.m.
No injuries were reported.