STREAMWOOD, Ill. (CBS) — Windows were blown out and the side of a house was left charred following an explosion Monday afternoon in northwest suburban Streamwood.
The explosion happened at a townhome on East Shagbark Lane, officials said.READ MORE: Bureau Of Internal Affairs Report Hundreds of Complaints Filed Against CPD Officers In 2020
Streamwood fire crews were called to the scene just after 4 p.m., and called for a working fire response.
One person on the scene — who was believed to be a heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning contractor — suffered non-life-threatening injuries and was taken to AMITA Health St. Alexius Medical Center in Hoffman Estates, fire officials said.
When the explosion happened, neighbor Kevin Hill ran to help the man who was injured.READ MORE: Chicago Police Investigate South Loop Carjacking
“The worker – I got him away. His face was bloody. His arm was all bloody. There was an EMS truck parked in my driveway, and the EMS guy – I got him away from the house, because I didn’t know if there was going to be another explosion,” Hill said.
One unit of the three-unit townhouse development sustained significant damage, officials said. The damage was estimated at $75,000.
The Streamwood Fire Department said late Monday that a gas leak was to blame for the explosion.
The NICOR gas company said it was notified of the incident shortly after it happened.MORE NEWS: Allan M. Brown Of Countryside Is The Suspect In Kenosha Police Shooting
“We are working with local authorities to determine the nature of the incident and the safety and security of our infrastructure and the community,” NICOR said in the statement. “We will continue to keep our customers and community informed as appropriate.”