CHICAGO (CBS) — Police have charged a suspect with murder in a shooting that happened in broad daylight July 23 in a parking lot in south suburban Lansing.

Marvin Gibson-Jones, 21, of Calumet City, Illinois, has been charged with first degree murder. He appeared in bond court and received no bail.

READ MORE: Suburban Family Still In Shock After They Hired Home Improvement Contractor Via HomeAdvisor, Only For The Contractor To Smash Up Their Property

Marvin Gibson-Jones. (Credit: Lansing Police)

Police now say the incident, which happened in a parking lot at 500 Bernice Rd. and sent crowds ducking for cover, occurred over the sale of an item that had been listed for sale on a social media site.

Lisa York, 41, of Hobart, Indiana, was shot in the head and later pronounced dead at St. Margaret’s North Hospital in Hammond, Indiana.

Douglas and Lisa York were shot July 23 in Lansing, Illinois. Lisa died of her injuries.

A relative confirms that Lisa’s husband Douglas York sustained multiple gunshots to the body and was transported to Christ Hospital in Oak Lawn. He was listed as stable at the time of the incident and was treated and released, according to police.

The couple was attempting to sell a bike to Gibson-Jones, according to Assistant State’s Attorney Jasmine Morgan. The couple was in a truck when Gibson-Jones arrived in a white sedan and exited the front passenger seat of the van, which was parked closest to the victims’ driver door. Gibson-Jones was wearing a bandana on his face that covered everything but his eyes, Morgan said.

Witnesses said the suspect brandished a gun, and Douglas York attempted to draw his wife’s gun but dropped it to the floor. He then drew his own handgun from the center console.

“The defendant shot at both of the victims,” Morgan said.

Morgan said Douglas York fired eight or nine shots, striking the car the suspect arrived in. Then the suspect ran to the back of the truck and shot at it, hitting Lisa York in the face one time. Douglas York was shot in the left wrist and twice in the left leg.

Other cars in the lot were also struck, according to Morgan.

Douglas York then tried to drive away and shot out the back window of the white car as it was fleeing the scene.

Gibson-Jones then fled on foot and was picked up by the driver of the white car, Morgan said. The defendant, and two others went to someone else’s house where one of them cleaned a wound to the defendant’s arm.

READ MORE: Illinois Reports Most New COVID-19 Cases In More Than A Year, As Testing Hits All-Time High

Police connected Gibson-Jones to the victim through phone records, surveillance video from a nearby gas station that showed the white car fleeing the area, and surveillance video fro ma travel lodge that showed someone running to the white car and getting inside.

He was arrested after indicating to detectives that he set up a deal to buy a bike from the victims.

“The defendant indicated he, witness two and witness three were together,” Morgan said. “The defendant made admissions placing himself at the scene of the murder.”

According to a release from the Lansing Police Department, the department has an area designated for purchasing and exchanging items sold online outside its main entrance doors.

Prosecutors said Marvin Gibson-Jones came to a Lansing strip mall parking lot last Tuesday to meet Lisa and Douglas York. The Hobart couple posted this dirt bike for sale, for $2,350 on Facebook.

Gibson-Jones met them to buy it. But prosecutors said when the 21-year-old pulled up next to the couple, he wore a bandanna covering everything but his eyes and a hat, covering his head.

Then, he pulled a gun on them. A witness described hearing a shot ring out.

“I heard a crack. Sounded like a fire cracker,” said Asim Chughtai.

Prosecutors said Gibson-Jones shot at the couple, hitting Lisa in the face. She died.

Douglas was shot once in his left wrist and twice, in his left leg.  Prosecutors said Douglas reached for his own handgun and fired eight to nine shots, hitting the 21-year-old’s car.

“I heard another seven or eight cracks, in equal intervals, just repetitious,” Chughtai said. “And I immediately realized those are gunshots!”

As other cars in the parking lot were hit by bullets, witnesses hit the ground to take cover.

Gibson-Jones is no stranger to law enforcement. Records showed in March of last year, he plead guilty to eight felony counts of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon. That’s when he entered a first time offender program. He had 106 days time served and was given two years probation and five days of community service.

MORE NEWS: City Council Latino Caucus Moves To Put Proposed Ward Map On 2022 Ballot For Voter Referendum

A reminder from police: Internet transactions can always be done at your local police department.

Suzanne Le Mignot