CHICAGO (CBS) — A Dolton woman shot in the head while driving earlier this week has died.

Late Thursday, Marshia Bowman was in critical condition. Investigators were poring over surveillance video of the shooting to find who was behind it.

Bowman was driving home with her four youngest on Sibley Boulevard Wednesday night. That’s was when someone in another car nearby started shooting.

The 40-year-old mother of eight may have been caught in the crossfire when two groups started shooting at each other, but it was unclear who was the target.

Bowman was struck in the head and lost control of her minivan – crashing it into a tree near Cottage Grove Avenue.

“It’s very unfortunate. It’s very unfortunate,” said her friend Kimberly Judkins, who talked to Bowman’s oldest daughter Thursday morning. She said everyone is still in shock.

Police are in communication with the family, but not many details are available.

The family is asking for help with the crime and is receiving help with their goodbye.

“You have a whole community of law enforcement agents, state police, everyone looking, and you’re not going to get away with this,” said Sean Howard, a spokesperson for Bowman’s husband. “It will always resonate for the rest of his life. That’s when doctors came in an adjacent room and told him that they had done all they could. He has begun the process to get counseling for his four youngest girls who witnessed this crime. All girls, 1, 4, 8 and 9. He had to deliver the news this afternoon to them.”

Early Walker, co-owner of McFarland and Walker Funeral Services, said they’re covering the cost of the funeral and helping with the burial.

“If this doesn’t affect us, I don’t know what will,” Walker said.

“She just had a heart for people, a heart for community,” Howard said.

Described as a pillar of her family, this mom will be remembered as a loving woman as police look for the person or people who caused the violence and a family’s pain.

“They’ll bring these individuals or individual to justice,” Howard said.

A GoFundMe has been set up to help the family.

No one is in custody, and the investigation is ongoing.