CHICAGO (CBS) — A man was struck and killed by a vehicle in a hit-and-run in the East Garfield Park neighborhood Tuesday afternoon.

Witnesses said the offending driver initially stopped and got out of his car, but then drove away.

READ MORE: Man Says Van Was Stolen With 3-Year-Old Daughter Inside In West Rogers Park

CBS 2’s Charlie De Mar talked Tuesday night with Monique McAlpine, the daughter of 59-year-old victim Lee Davis.

McAlpine was surrounded by family as she returned to Lake Street and Pulaski Road late Tuesday.

“I just don’t understand why the guy just got out, looked at my dad for five minutes, and then got back in his car and left,” she said.

Lee Davis

Lee Davis was struck and killed in a hit-and-run on the city’s West Side on Tuesday, Aug. 27, 2019. (Credit: Davis Family)

Graphic cellphone video showed a man witnesses describe as the alleged driver moments after the crash. He allegedly got of his car, but after several
Minutes, those witnesses said the driver got back in his sport-utility vehicle – possibly a blue Jeep – and took off.

“Moving from that place all the way to this – hitting that poll, means there must be a very, very serious impact,” said a man named Joseph.

After hitting Davis, the driver slammed into Joseph’s SUV, sending it into a nearby CTA Green Line trestle post. Joseph asked us not to use his last name.

READ MORE: Two Simeon High School Students, Both 15, Killed In Shootings Four Hours Apart

“That broke me down immediately. It broke me down so badly,” he said.

Joseph said he is not concerned with his damaged Nissan, but rather, his focus is on the life that can’t be repaired.

“I care more about the death,” he said. “I’m telling you again, it’s not about a car, because life to me is worth more than this car.”

“I’m glad they caught him,” McAlpine said.

Police caught up to the driver and arrested him late Tuesday. His name and the charges he could he facing have not been released.

Just about exactly 24 hours earlier on the very same block, a 21-year-old man and a 25-year-old man were standing on the sidewalk when they were hit by gunfire, according to police.

The 25-year-old man suffered multiple gunshot wounds to his body and was pronounced dead soon afterward at Stroger Hospital of Cook County, police said.

MORE NEWS: Chicago Weather: High Waves, Dangerous Conditions Along Lakefront

The 21-year-old man also suffered multiple gunshot wounds and was taken to Stroger in critical condition, police said.