By Jermont Terry

PORTER, Ind. (CBS) — Seven people were rushed to the hospital, including a 3-year-old girl who was trapped, when a house exploded in Porter, Indiana on Thursday.

As CBS 2’s Jermont Terry reported, it is all believed to have started with a gas leak. It is hard to believe upon looking at the video that a house even once stood at the explosion site.

READ MORE: LIVE UPDATES: Chicago Sky's WNBA Championship Parade And Rally

The Porter Fire Department was called around 4:30 p.m. for the explosion in the 400 block of North 1st Street in Porter.

Fire Chief Jay Craig said when he arrived, there was heavy fire in the rear of the home and damage throughout the building. He was told a 3-year-old girl was trapped inside.

With the help of several bystanders, firefighters were able to get the little girl out and into a waiting ambulance.

READ MORE: Magnificent Mile: More Trouble For Area That Was Once A Crown Jewel Of American Retail

Also during the search, they found a woman who was trapped in the house. Crews were able to get her out and stabilize her as they awaited more EMS resources, Craig said.

Several medevac helicopters was requested, but the only one known to be airlifted from the scene was the 3-year-old, who was taken to a Chicago hospital, Craig said.

NIPSCO was able to cap the gas leak. Fire crews remained at the scene afterward trying to put out hot spots, but said the situation was under control by 10 p.m.

In all, seven people who lived in the house were transported from the scene, Craig said.

MORE NEWS: Gov. JB Pritzker Hopes To Lift Statewide Indoor Mask Mandate In Time For Holidays

The Indiana State Fire Marshal, and investigators from the Town of Porter and the City of Portage were on the scene.