CHICAGO (CBS) — Two adults were rushed to the hospital Tuesday evening when an electrical generator emitted a potentially lethal amount of carbon monoxide into a home in Auburn Gresham.
The Fire Department called a Level 1 Hazmat situation for the single-family home at 8506 S. Ada St.READ MORE: Man In Parked Van Caught In Crossfire During Shooting In South Austin
The carbon monoxide level had reached a lethal 550 ppm because of the generator, the Fire Department said.
A man was taken to OSF Little Company of Mary Medical Center in Evergreen Park in serious-to-critical condition and a woman was taken to the same hospital in fair-to-serious condition, the Fire Department said.
A cat also died in the house.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warn that a generator should never be used inside a home or garage, even if doors and windows are open.READ MORE: Massive Chemical Plant Fire In Rockton, Illinois, Could Burn For Days
Also From CBS Chicago:
- New Wave Of COVID-19 Has Doctors, Hospitals On Notice
- Baby Found Safe After Mom Said Car Was Stolen With Child Inside
- Tinley Park House Catches Fire After Car Crashes Into It; Driver Missing
MORE NEWS: 2 Men Shot In Car That Crashed On Lake Shore Drive Near Elm Street