MORRIS, Ill. (CBS) — Grundy County wants to hear from the people who had to leave their homes because of an industrial fire in Morris recently.

A week ago Tuesday, a building caught fire with up to 200,000 pounds of lithium ion batteries inside.

READ MORE: 3 Killed, 24 Wounded In Weekend Shootings Across Chicago

The smoke was potentially dangerous, so homes in the area were evacuated.

READ MORE: Man, Woman Shot On Kedzie Avenue In East Garfield Park

The burning batteries were smothered with 28 tons of cement. Firefighters resorted to the unconventional and possibly unprecedented tactic because using water or firefighting foam could have caused the batteries to explode.

On Friday, officials in Morris said enough progress had been made in battling an industrial fire to allow those thousands of residents who were evacuated three days earlier to return home.

MORE NEWS: Body Found In Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve In Darien Confirmed To Be Missing United Airlines Executive Jacob Cefolia

Now, Grundy County officials want those residents to fill out an impact survey on the county website, so they know how many people were affected, and how badly.

CBS 2 Chicago Staff