CHICAGO (CBS) — The city is cracking down on businesses that are accused of failing to follow the COVID-19 mask date.
As CBS 2’s Asal Rezaei reported, the Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection issued a list of dozens of places called out as rule-breakers.READ MORE: Tony Landers Charged In Attack On Ald. James Cappleman After Alderman Confronted Men Who Were Drinking In Public In Uptown
The mask mandate for the city officially resumed Friday, Aug. 20 – a week and a half ago – so city officials have been quick to make sure businesses are following the rules.
Rezaei talked to some employees at the Hi-Fi Personal Fitness gym at 820 N. Orleans St. in River North. While the staffers would not talk to us on camera, they did say a city employee was there last Monday – just over a week since the mask mandate went back into effect.
The business was given a warning because one person inside the gym did not have a mask on. The employee also said gym patrons have called 311 in the past because their trainers were not wearing masks, or just not wearing them properly.
They got off with a warning this time.
But other businesses did not. The city said at least 20 businesses received citations between Friday, Aug. 20, and Sunday, Aug. 29. The city listed the following businesses as among those given citations:READ MORE: Man Shot, Killed During Home Invasion In South Shore; 4 People In Custody
• A & M Soccer Club, 3419 W. Peterson Ave., North Park;
• Aldi’s, 6520 W. Fullerton Ave., Belmont Cragin;
• Chicago Cartage Company/Tyler Zorbaugh, 1613 W. Walnut St., Near West Side;
• The Great Room Llc, 2518 W. Division St., Humboldt Park;
• Auto Glass Replacement, 8159 S. Halsted St., Auburn Gresham;
• Falcon Fuel, 7902-7908 S. Ashland Ave., Auburn Gresham;
• Falcon Fuel & Mini Mart, 7600-7606 S. Halsted St., Auburn Gresham;
• Allen Quality Investments LLC, 117 E. 87th St., Chatham
• Plus 5 Llc, 2229 S. Michigan Ave., South Loop.
The city listed the following businesses as among those given a warning, or a “notice to correct:”
• Asian Community Center, 6250 N. California Ave., West Rogers Park;
• U Star Karaoke, 6248 N. California Ave., West Rogers Park;
• Autozone #4441, 5374-5388 N. Milwaukee Ave., Jefferson Park;
• HVAC PUB, 3530 N. Clark St., Wrigleyville;
• Muse School of Music, 3526 N. Halsted St., Northalsted/Boystown;
• Eat or Be Eaten, 5433-5435 W. North Ave., North Austin;
• Candys Coated Collections L.L.C., 2010 N. Lawler Ave., Belmont Cragin;
• Mirabella Italian Cuisine & Bar, 3454 W. Addison St., Irving Park;
• Am Auto Express, 2800 W. Addison St., Irving Park;
• Hi-Fi Fitness, 820 N. Orleans St., River North;
• Legends LLC, 5403 S. Ashland Ave., Back of the Yards;
• Darrin’s, 1249 E. 87th St., Calumet Heights;
• The Sage Room, 67 E. Cermak Rd., South Loop.
If any businesses refuse to comply with the mask mandate, they can receive a Class A misdemeanor and be subject to fines anywhere from $75 to $2,500.
People are encouraged to call 311 to report any violations.MORE NEWS: R. Kelly's Attorney Says Singer Unlikely To Testify At His Sex Trafficking Trial
Remember, the city’s mask mandate applies in all indoor settings for everyone 2 years old and older – regardless of COVID-19 vaccination status.