By Mary Chappell
CHICAGO (CBS) — A 64-year-old woman died as a result of an Elgin house fire early Saturday morning, fire officials said.READ MORE: Simeon Career Academy Student Shot And Killed Just Blocks From School
The Elgin Fire Department responded to the 2400 block of Anna Way just after 4:30 a.m. after reports of a carbon monoxide alarm sounding, officials said. When they arrived, they found smoke coming from the adjacent townhome and found a 64-year-old woman on the second floor. She was removed from the home and first responders began performing CPR on her. She was taken to an area hospital where she was pronounced dead.READ MORE: 'Pure Magic' McHenry Mom Out Of COVID Coma, Meets Her Newborn Son
Elgin Fire called in additional crews for help and they extinguished the fire and found a large hole burnt through the floor. Crews were able to get the fire under control and didn’t find any other victims. The entire residence was deemed uninhabitable and was extensively damaged with estimates in excess of $180,000.MORE NEWS: Donald Greene Sr. Gets 2 Years In Prison For Scheme To Sell Diseased Body Parts In Brokering Scheme
Officials believe the fire occurred in the space between the first and second floor and the Elgin Fire Department Fire Investigation Team is investigating.