BUFFALO GROVE, Ill. (CBS) — A Countryside man linked to two murders in Logan Square last week – and is also accused of shooting a Kenosha County, Wisconsin Sheriff’s K-9 in the head in the same day.

But as CBS 2’s Marissa Parra reported, there was a bittersweet cap on the tragedy Sunday.

READ MORE: New Illinois Laws To Protect Sex Crime Victims' Privacy Take Effect Jan. 1

No one was sure what to expect when the K-9, Riggs, was rushed to the veterinary trauma center in Buffalo Grove days ago. On his way out, he was given a hero’s welcome.

Indeed, some heroes wear capes, while some – like the Kenosha County Sheriff’s K-9 – walk on four legs.

Riggs was shot in the line of duty on Thursday – taking a bullet to the head, and making a stunning recovery. It amounted to a ray of light in Buffalo Grove following two tragedies linked on Chicago’s Northwest Side.

Police said Allen M. Brown of Countryside is the man who shot Riggs in the head – and the same man suspected of shooting and killing two people in Logan Square and Hermosa the night before.

Brown is accused of shooting a 25-year-old man dead at a bus stop near at Pulaski Road and Fullerton Avenue, and then shooting and killing Miguel Padilla, 41, a short distance away on Keystone Avenue.

Police said Brown went on to take Padilla’s Buick and drive it over the Wisconsin state line. Surveillance photo shows him browsing inside a store in Bristol, Wisconsin before finding himself surrounded by police.

READ MORE: Chicago Weather: Cloudy Overnight With Snow Flurries For Some

After Brown made a run for it, Riggs was released by his handler and took Brown down – before Brown shot the K-9 in the face.

“A lot of it’s a blur right now,” said Kenosha County Sheriff’s Deputy Terry Tifft. “The dog did his job saving my life and those of my fellow officers, and that’s what I remember most.”

Tifft has worked with Riggs for the last seven years, and calls the K-9 his partner and his best friend. Parra asked Tifft if he knew it would end like it did – with a triumphant release from the veterinary center for Riggs.

“I did not, no,” Tifft said. “I thought it was bad. I thought I was going to lose him.”

But Riggs pulled through. Surrounded by K-9s from around the state, Riggs – sporting some new scars and stitches – walked out of the clinic to applause.

“There was some tears out there – not just rain,” said clinical care specialist Dr. Jennifer Herring. “We definitely all felt the love around that.”

Brown has a criminal history that includes aggravated battery to a police officer. This latest case is still under investigation, and so far, no further charges have been announced.

MORE NEWS: View Live Radar

As for Riggs, he was still nursing some bruising on his brain Sunday. And while it is unlikely that he will go back to work as a police K-9, the 8-year-old dog is in fine spirits at home with his human family.