CHICAGO (STMW) – A cat and a dog perished during a fire at a Lakeview neighborhood apartment building Sunday afternoon.
The kitchen fire started at 1:18 p.m. on the top level of a four-story apartment building in the 500 block of West Addison Street, according to Fire Media Affairs spokesman Joe Roccasalva.
No one was home inside the apartment where the fire started and was contained to, according to Town Hall District Police Capt. Thomas Lemmer.
The fire unit was “completely destroyed’’ and other units below it sustained water damage, according to American Red Cross spokesman Gerry Holmes. Holmes said the residents affected had other places to stay, and did not require the shelter and food initially offered by Red Cross.
It was put out by 1:40 p.m. and while there were no reports of human injuries, a cat and dog died, according to Roccasalva.
Firefighters initially rescued the dog out of the burning building and were trying to revive it in the courtyard, Lemmer said.
“They tried to get the dog going again but they couldn’t,’’ Roccasalva said. The pets lived in the unit where the fire started.
The dog was initially “severely injured,’’ according to a police officer assigned to the city’s department of Animal Care Control.
Roccasalva said no people were rescued and no one was injured.
The fire is not considered suspicious, Lemmer said.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2010. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)