Officials Seek Injunction Over Suburban Oil Spill
Featured & Trending:
Latest News Headlines:
JOLIET, Ill. (STMW) – Atty. Gen. Lisa Madigan and Will County State’s Attorney James Glasgow on Wednesday asked for a preliminary injunction requiring two pipeline companies to mediate damage from an oil spill last month in southwest suburban Lockport.
The pipeline companies, allegedly responsible for an oil spill on Dec. 14, must identify and inspect water supply mains, sanitary sewers and storm sewers, along with private wells and groundwater within one-half mile of the leak to assess the impact of the leak and ensure clean-up, a release from Madigan’s office said.
On Dec. 23, 2010, Madigan and Glasgow filed a seven-count complaint alleging environmental violations by Buckeye Pipe Line Co. and West Shore Pipe Line Co. after a section of pipeline was found leaking crude oil in Lockport.
They filed the suit to ensure protection of area residents from potential hazards from the spill, the release said.
The injunction filed Wednesday in Will County Circuit Court requires the companies to:
– Provide the state EPA copies of all reports and work plans provided to or required by the U.S. EPA and the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration.
– Provide a list of all contacts and correspondence related to the spill.
– Provide copies of all inspection reports on the 3.5-mile section of 12-inch pipe from the Enbridge pipeline to the Citgo refinery from 2000-2010, and information about any repairs during that period.
– Provide a private well survey within one-half mile of the leak, propose a plan to evaluate any impact on private wells and provide the results of the survey and plan to the state EPA for review and approval.
– Conduct community outreach activities.
– Reimburse the state for all reasonable response and oversight costs.
A status hearing is scheduled for Feb. 10 at 11 a.m. at the Will County Courthouse, the release said.
© Sun-Times Media Wire Chicago Sun-Times 2010. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed