CBS 2 Chicago wbbm7801059 670 The Score

Local

Candles Suspected To Have Caused Fire

Mount Prospect Fire Dept. (Photo by Tim Boyle/Getty Images)

Mount Prospect Fire Dept. (Photo by Tim Boyle/Getty Images)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

MOUNT PROSPECT, Ill. (STMW) – Unattended candles are suspected as the cause of a fire Thursday afternoon in a condominium that injured two women and displaced several others in northwest suburban Mount Prospect.

Firefighters received a call at 2:38 p.m. of a fire in the Kenilworth Condos, a three-story building at 1255 W. Prospect Ave, Mount Prospect Fire Chief John Malcolm said.

The fire started in the living room of a third floor condo where there were unattended lighted candles, Malcolm said. The fire was contained to the condo unit although there was smoke and water damage throughout the 27-unit building.

Two women, one of which was elderly, suffered minor injuries and were taken to Northwest Community Healthcare in Arlington Heights.

All occupants were displaced and most were able to stay with friends or relatives except two families who needed assistance, Malcolm said.

When firefighters arrived on the scene, third floor residents were on their balconies due to the smoke in the hallway, Malcolm said. They were not in immediate danger and firefighters were able to use the stairway to lead them out of the building.

The fire sprinklers in the hallways, including one outside the condo, helped to keep the fire contained to one unit, Malcolm said.

The fire, believed to have started from unattended candles, is being called accidental, Malcom said.

It is estimated that there $300,000 in damages.

© Sun-Times Media Wire Chicago Sun-Times 2010. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed