CBS 2 Chicago wbbm7801059 670 The Score
New!  CBS Chicago Weather iPhone App: Daily Forecasts, Weather Alerts & Radar Maps!  Free Download »

Local

Space Heater Blamed For Country Club Hills Fire

Fire graphic, generic sized image

(CBS)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

COUNTRY CLUB HILLS, Ill. (STMW) – A faulty space heater left on after owners left their home caused a fire just a few doors away from a south suburban fire station Friday morning.

The blaze started about 9:45 a.m. Friday in a house at 4440 W. 183rd St., according to County Club Hills spokeswoman Marge Seltzner. The home is a few doors west of the fire station, she said.

An employee of the city Department of Public Works saw the fire while driving past the home and called 911, she said.

The blaze damaged the family room, living room and kitchen of the home. A space heater with a faulty cord that had been left on appears to be the cause of the fire, Seltzner said.

“No one was home, but they left the space heater running,” Seltzner said.

The fire was out by 11 a.m. and no injuries were reported.

(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2011. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)