West Siders Overcome By Gas After Using Oven For Heat

CHICAGO (CBS) — Three people went to the hospital Thursday morning after residents of an apartment building used an oven for heat.

Firefighters were called to the two-story building on the 4100 block of West Adams Street at about 10 a.m.

Crews measured dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in the building and took one person to Mount Sinai Hospital in fair condition.

Two others who took themselves to a hospital were also being treated, police said.

A fire department spokesman said CO levels were at 500; anything over 10 is dangerous enough to trigger a CO detector.

Residents had been using an oven to heat the apartment, police said. The building was deemed safe about 10:30 a.m.

(The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.)

  • MVW

    Very sad. Not sure if that was a private residence or a rented apartment.

    A lot of landlords refuse to heat their tenants apartments. I know several people who rent and their apartment is 48 degrees in this deep freeze weather. If they complain, the landlord threatens them with eviction or will hike their rent sky high if they report it to the city.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Daily Weather Reports Delivered To You!SIGN UP NOW: Get daily weather reports every morning from meteorologist Steve Baskerville!
CBS Sports Radio RoundupGet your latest sports talk from across the country.

Listen Live