Muti To Return To CSO Next Season
CHICAGO (WBBM/CBS) — Chicago Symphony Orchestra music director Riccardo Muti is out of the hospital and in fact, preparing to take the orchestra on the road next season.
As WBBM Newsradio 780’s Regine Schlesinger reports, Muti, 69, was released from Northwestern Memorial Hospital over the weekend, just in time for his Grammy win Sunday night.
LISTEN: Newsradio 780’s Regine Schlesinger reports
Meanwhile, the CSO says Muti will lead in 10 weeks of subscription concerts and six weeks of touring during its 2011-12 season — his second as its music director.
Muti plans to appear in multiple concert series, and will undertake his first international and West Coast tours as music director, plus two world premieres, and the Symphony Ball, CSO officials said late Monday.
Muti fainted and fell from the podium during a rehearsal on Feb. 3. He suffered fractures to his jaw and other facial bones.
Last fall, Muti withdrew from the CSO’s gala “Symphony Ball” because of “extreme gastric distress.” He spent three months in his native Milan, Italy, to be treated by doctors who speak his native language.
The $2 million-a-year conductor returned to work in late January to begin rehearsals for a February residency, which kicks off Thursday night. Muti also has scheduled residencies in the spring as part of his five-year contract, the CSO said.
Muti first conducted the CSO in his 30s, and his return to the city had been highly anticipated. He made his debut as the CSO’s music director last September, 16 months after he was picked as the successor to Daniel Barenboim, who retired in 2006.
(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS Radio and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)