WHEATON, Ill. (STMW) — If there’s going to be a second sexual abuse trial for Michael Cardamone, it will not take place until at least March 2012.
During a brief appearance in west suburban DuPage County Friday, Judge Blanche Fawell was adamant about not delaying the case against the 33-year-old former gymnastics coach any further.
“I’m not moving on these dates,” she told attorneys. “If you need more time, ask for it now.”
Even with more than 15 boxes of documents stretching over nine years, attorneys from both sides said they would be prepared.
Prosecutors said they will bring new charges against Cardamone, 33, on May 31. The charges do not follow any new allegations, but stem from past trial material, prosecutors said.
Cardamone’s attorney would not comment on the new charges.
If the trial begins next year, it will be almost a decade since Cardamone was first accused of improperly touching girls at his family’s Aurora gym in 2002.
When the case went to trial in 2005, Cardamone was convicted on nine counts of inappropriately touching seven young female students, ages 4 to 15, at the gym.
Jurors found him not guilty of 11 additional charges, including predatory sexual assault that could have resulted in a life sentence. He was also sentenced to three years on a separate conviction for making a false 911 call.
After Cardamone spent three years in prison on the touching charges, the appellate court threw out the convictions. Since then, the case has slowly worked its way toward a new trial. Cardamone continues to deny the accusations.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2010. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)