Some Not Thrilled By Chicago’s July 4 Fireworks
Lastest News Headlines:
Get Breaking News First
CHICAGO (CBS) — For 15 minutes Monday night, the city wowed the crowd with fireworks at Navy Pier.
As WBBM Newsradio 780’s Mary Frances Bragiel reports, not everyone was impressed.
LISTEN: Newsradio 780’s Mary Frances Bragiel reports
Rob Cuchinetta was impressed as a man who works with pyrotechnology.
“They’re actually putting on a better show; it brings more people to Navy Pier,” he said.
But some of the out-of-towners were less than impressed.
“I was expecting a little more, I guess, so far,” a man said. “To be honest with you, we’re visiting from Ohio and I was really excited about coming.”
Another man was visiting from Syracuse, N.Y., and he too seemed to be unimpressed.
“It’s OK. It’s not the greatest,” he said.
The fireworks were sponsored by the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority.
It was the second major change in as many years for the city’s Fourth of July celebrations. Last year, the city canceled its traditional July 3rd fireworks show, opting instead for three smaller fireworks shows along the lakefront, including at Navy Pier.
But this year, the city dropped all of its official fireworks displays, leaving only the Navy Pier show at 9 p.m. on Monday.
Disappointed or not, tens of thousands of people filled Navy Pier and stayed for the entire show.