Firefighter Hurt Battling Bartlett Blaze
Featured & Trending:
Latest News Headlines:
Get Breaking News First
BARTLETT, Ill. (STMW) – A firefighter was hurt early Saturday while battling a blaze at a house in northwest suburban Bartlett that a resident of the home had tried to extinguish with a garden hose before calling 911.
A firefighter was injured during a blaze that caused about $100,000 in damage about 2:30 a.m. Saturday at 812 S. Sheridan Road, officials said.
A resident of the single-family home tried to put the fire out using a garden hose before calling 911, according to a Bartlett Fire Protection District release. When firefighters arrived, they discovered the back of the house engulfed in flames and heavy smoke coming from the roof.
The fire, which was still under investigation, reportedly began near the base of the deck stairs and traveled up the siding and into the attic space, the release said. It took firefighters about 25 minutes to get the blaze under control.
The rear of the home, along with the roof and attic, sustained significant fire damage, as well as water and smoke damage to the second floor, according to the release.
One male firefighter was taken to St. Alexius Medical Center in Hoffman Estates with injuries that were not life-threatening, according to reports.
Hanover Park, Carol Stream and Streamwood agencies also responded to the blaze, the release said.
The residents were displaced from the home and reportedly will be staying with friends or possibly a hotel, according to the release. Fire officials reminded the public not to try to extinguish a fire themselves but to evacuate the premises and call 911 immediately.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2010. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)