UPDATED 07/18/11 7:28 a.m.

CHICAGO (CBS) — Police shot and wounded a suspect overnight in the Northwest Side’s Belmont-Cragin neighborhood as he waved two knives at officers.

The incident happened just before 10 p.m. in the 2900 block of North Lotus Avenue.

When police arrived, the suspect had already stabbed a woman, and was threatening people in the neighborhood with a knife in each hand. He was also waving the knives at both police and fire officials, Independent Police Review Authority spokeswoman Andrea Stoutenborough said.

The man was visibly bleeding and keeping his hands hidden when officers arrived, according to Chicago Fraternal Order of Police spokesman Pat Camden. Officers told the man to let them see his hands, at which point the man produced a carving knife in one hand and a steak knife in the other, Camden said.

The man refused to drop the knives and came at police, officials said. Officers opened fire and struck the man, and also used a Taser on him, police said.

The man was taken in an unknown condition to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, Stoutenborough said.

“The weapons have been recovered. There’s no injuries to any police officers on the scene, and the investigation is continuing,” Camden said.

The man suffered other wounds that appeared to be self-inflicted, he said.

The woman the man allegedly stabbed was taken to an area hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, police said.

This was one of four instances in which Chicago Police officers found themselves in fear for their lives over the weekend. In two of the four instances, police shot and killed suspect s they believed had guns.

Around 4:20 p.m. Saturday, police shot and killed Lynell Hawkins, 32, as he pointed a weapon and fired shots in the area of Madison Street and Parkside Avenue. But witnesses claim Hawkins had ditched the gun before he was shot.

LISTEN: Newsradio 780’s Bernie Tafoya reports

At 12:40 a.m. Sunday, police shot and killed Niko Husband, 19, after he allegedly went for a gun while holding a woman hostage in the 8000 block of South Ashland Avenue.

The third shooting happened in the 2500 block of East 82nd Street around 8 p.m. Sunday. A man pulled a handgun and fired at an officer who was chasing him and the officer returned fire, but no one was hit. A man was arrested, police said.

The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.

Watch & Listen LIVE