CBS 2 Chicago wbbm7801059 670 The Score

Local

Elgin Man Convicted Of Breaking Infant’s Legs

View Comments
Ricardo Robledo-Espino was convicted of aggravated battery to a child. (Kane County State's Attorney's Office)

Ricardo Robledo-Espino was convicted of aggravated battery to a child. (Kane County State’s Attorney’s Office)

Don't Miss This

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

ST. CHARLES, Ill. (STMW) — An Elgin man faces up to 30 years in prison after being convicted Monday of breaking an infant’s legs as he took care of the girl last year.

Ricardo Robledo-Espino, 29, of the 300 block of McClure Avenue was convicted by Associate Judge Patricia P. Golden of two counts of aggravated battery to a child, each a Class X felony, a release from the Kane County State’s Attorney’s office said.

Robledo-Espino had waived his right to a jury trial.

On April 3, 2010, Robledo-Espino was watching the six-week-old child of his girlfriend when he placed the infant on her back on the bed as she cried, then grabbed her legs around the calf area and forcefully pulled her towards him, the release said.

He didn’t immediately tell his girlfriend about the incident, even though she noticed unusual swelling in the child’s left calf and that the infant was more irritable than normal in the following days, the release said.

On April 8, the baby was taken to see a pediatrician, who recommended she get an X-Ray. That’s when the specialist learned the girl’s legs were broken and that the type of fractures would have been caused by significant force and were consistent with child abuse, the release said.

On April 17, 2010, Robledo-Espino admitted to Elgin Police he had probably used more force than he should have and that when he pulled the child’s legs, she let out a higher-pitched cry than normal and that he knew he had hurt her.

During the investigation, he also gave inconsistent explanations to medical personnel about how the child might have been injured.

Robledo-Espino will appear for post-trial motions and sentencing on Oct. 4. He faces a sentence of between six and 30 years and must register on the Child Murderer and Violent Youth Offender Registry.

He had been held at the Kane County Jail since his arrest in lieu of $50,000 bond but bond was revoked upon conviction.

(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2010. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

View Comments