Many residents have a long list of small household repairs that need attention, but they often have too little time or insufficient skill to address them. Hiring a handyman can be an affordable way to tackle multiple projects at once, but finding the right one isn’t always easy.
The following tips can help ensure you hire a high quality handyman that’s suited for your needs:
1. Define the scope of the project, and evaluate the skills needed to complete it. A handyman is best utilized for small jobs such as installing light fixtures, cleaning gutters and fixing leaky faucets. If the job requires a permit, you should consider hiring a professional contractor.
2. Interview at least three candidates. Ask about years of experience and areas of specialization, and request references from homeowners who had similar work done. Make sure the potential handyman is a good match for your project.
3. Stay away from the handyman who asks for money in advance. Reputable handymen don’t expect to get paid before the project is completed. Don’t hire handymen who contact you with an unsolicited phone call or visit, and avoid workers who do not guarantee the price of the job.
4. Insist on a written agreement laying out the job, the cost and the fee schedule in detail. Be clear about the times you expect the work started and completed. Get guarantees in writing.
5. Inspect the completed work before making payment. Make sure that everything has been done to your satisfaction.
Hiring the right handyman is not always easy, but with the right research, you should have no problem hiring one that fits your individual needs.
This article originally appeared at magazine.angieslist.com.