Charges Dropped Against Man Accused Of Shooting 2 Cops
Don't Miss This
Get Breaking News First
CHICAGO (CBS) – Cook County prosecutors have dropped all charges against a 27-year-old man who had been accused of shooting two Chicago police officers last month.
Daniel Jones had been charged with two counts of attempted murder in the shooting of two police officers on July 18.
Prosecutors did not explain exactly why the charges against Jones were dropped on Tuesday, but in a statement, the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office said, “While the charges against Jones were brought in good faith based on witness accounts and identifications, additional information has developed during the ongoing investigation that warranted the dismissal of the charges.”
Two Harrison District officers, both 29, were shot when a suspect opened fire on them as they were making an attempted drug stop. At Karlov Avenue near Wilcox Street on July 18.
The officers, who had both been on the job for three to four years, were on patrol at Karlov Avenue near Wilcox Street – between Monroe and Adams streets – when they saw a drug deal going down in an alley around 10:45 p.m. on July 18.
As they got closer, police said one man pulled out a gun and opened fire on them.
One of the officers suffered a bullet wound behind his left ear, the other was shot in the left arm, police said.
Prosecutors said the investigation of the shooting of the two officers was continuing.