CBS 2 Chicago wbbm7801059 670 The Score

Local

Doctor’s Office Worker Says She Was Infected By Mold

View Comments
Mold

Black mold on a damaged wall. (File Photo; Credit: AP)

Don't Miss This

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

CHICAGO (CBS) — A woman claims in a lawsuit that her blood became infected with mold while she was working at a doctor’s office in the Southwest Side’s Garfield Ridge neighborhood.

Cheryl A. Connelly claims that around Jan. 12 of this year, she became aware that the environment she was working in at the Archer Family Medical Group at 6649 W. Archer Ave., was contaminated with mold, according to the suit filed in Cook County Circuit Court.

Connelly became aware that mold was in her blood about March 10, the suit said.

The suit claims the medical group, owned by MacNeal Healthcare Center, carelessly and negligently allowed water to accumulate unnaturally on the premises and permitted mold to grow.

It seeks more than $50,000 in damages and court costs.

Mold can cause health effects such as allergies and other irritations, but some molds – particularly those indoors – can also produce dangerous mycotoxins that can be harmful or fatal in high concentrations.

It was not specified how Connelly was affected by the mold.

MacNeal spokeswoman Carrie Brethauer said Friday morning that they have not been served with any paperwork.

The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.

View Comments