Don't Miss This
CHICAGO (CBS) – Former Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s sentencing hearing has been scheduled for next month.
Blagojevich’s original Oct. 6 sentencing date had been postponed because U.S. District Judge James Zagel was also presiding over the trial of Springfield power broker William Cellini, the last case tied to the Blagojevich investigation.
LISTEN: WBBM Newsradio’s Lisa Fielding reports
At a status hearing in Blagojevich’s case on Monday, Zagel rescheduled the sentencing for 10 a.m. Dec. 6 and, if necessary, on Dec. 7, according to U.S. Attorney’s office spokesman Randall Samborn.
The judge and defense attorneys have said they expect the sentencing hearing could take two days.
Blagojevich’s attorney, Sheldon Sorosky, has said that the former governor will testify at his sentencing. The defense also plans to call other witnesses to testify about Blagojevich’s character and his “meritorious conduct” as governor.
At his retrial this summer, Blagojevich was convicted of 17 various corruption counts, including charges he tried to sell or trade an appointment to the U.S. Senate seat vacated by President Barack Obama in late 2008. His first trial had resulted in a hung jury on all but one count, a conviction for lying to the FBI.
Federal prosecutors have estimated that Blagojevich could face up to 30 years in prison, but have yet to disclose how long of a sentence they will seek. The defense is seeking a sentence of probation.