2 Dead, 5 Wounded In Englewood Shooting
Get Breaking News First
Updated 12/27/11 – 4:48 p.m.
CHICAGO (CBS) – Police Wednesday morning were searching for the gunman who opened fire in an Englewood neighborhood fast food restaurant, killing two teenagers and wounding five other people.
As CBS 2’s Susanna Song reports, on the morning after the shooting, the restaurant was bare. A sticker for the anti-violence and gang intervention group CeaseFire had been posted in the window of the Church’s Chicken at 6600 S. Halsted St., but it seemed rather small and overlooked after what had happened the night before.
Police said the shooting started with an argument in the parking lot of the Church’s Chicken. Afterward, one of the men chased the other inside the restaurant and opened fire, striking seven people.
LISTEN: WBBM Newsradio’s Bob Roberts reports
Crime scene tape was strung around the restaurant as paramedics cared for victims inside and rushed them to hospitals.
Initially, police said there were six people shot, but later said a seventh person was also wounded in the attack. The victims were between the ages of 16 and 58.
Two boys — Dentril Brown, 17, and Jawan Ross, 16 — were pronounced dead at the scene.
As CBS 2’s Mike Puccinelli reports, police said Brown and Ross were not the intended victims. They were just trying to get food for dinner in the crowded eatery when the gunman opened fire. Police said the gunman missed his intended target.
Dentril’s mother, Regina Brown, wept on Wednesday as her family tried to comfort her.
“I don’t want to bury my baby,” she said. “He didn’t even get a chance to run for his life.”
Regina Brown said her son was just trying to get a bite to eat when he was killed. She implored the shooter to turn himself in.
“He took all of me. He took all of me. It’s just not one part. He made me a mother. That was my first child,” she said.
Dentril’s aunt said she had just spoken to her nephew before the shooting. Now she’s reaching out to him the only way she can.
“All I keep doing is just calling his phone just to hear his voice mail just to hear his voice,” Bianca Posey said. “I’m going to miss him so much.”
Jawan’s loved ones stopped by the murder scene on Wednesday to see where the Robeson High School sophomore lost his life. It was an emotional scene as they peered through the glass of the now-shuttered restaurant.
“My grandson belonged to me … not whoever took it upon theyself to kill him,” his grandmother, Georgia Jackson, said. “That was my baby.”
Among the surviving victims, a 15-year-old boy and a 51-year-old man were taken to Stroger Hospital in Cook County, where they were both reported in stable condition with a shot to the calf and two gunshots to the leg, respectively.
A 58-year-old man and a 17-year-old boy were taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where both were in stable condition. The older man suffered multiple gunshot wounds, while the boy was shot in his arm and leg.
A 22-year-old man was treated and released from St. Bernard Hospital and Health Care Center with a graze wound to the hand.
Police said the shooting was the result of a gang-related fight between the gunman and one of the victims.
Wentworth Area police detectives have launched a homicide investigation. No one was in custody as of early Wednesday.