Rain, Warmer Air Expected To Melt Snow This Week

CHICAGO (STMW) – The winter storm Friday that dropped up to 10 inches of snow on the Chicago area is over — but sloppy conditions could continue with rain and warmer temperatures expected this week.

The National Weather Service says temperatures will climb to 38 degrees Sunday, when there is an 80 percent chance of rain.

After Friday’s storm dumped between three and 10 inches of snow throughout the Chicago area, some residents might have to worry about flooding as the snow melts.

Local rainfall amounts are expected to reach an inch and could cause flooding in northwest Indiana when combined with rapid snow melt, according to the weather service’s website.

Significant rises on main stem rivers is likely, and the flooding of rivers, small streams and creeks is possible.

No flood watches or warnings have been issued in northern Illinois as of Saturday evening, but the weather service is predicting rain followed by warmer temperatures.

In Chicago, there is a 20 percent chance of freezing rain Sunday afternoon and an 80 percent chance of rain Sunday night, when temperatures will climb to 38 degrees.

High temperatures are expected to remain in the 30s the remainder of the week, according to the weather service.

© Sun-Times Media Wire Chicago Sun-Times 2012. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

  • http://myalicherif.com/fr.en/tornadoes-strike-arkansas-as-storms-menace-south-reuters/ Tornadoes strike Arkansas as storms menace south – ReutersNouvelles du monde | Nouvelles du monde

    […] warned that tornadoes and heavy storms could mete out damage to several southeast states …Rain, Warmer Air Expected To Melt Snow This WeekCBS LocalNew rainstorms heading our wayHouston ChronicleStorms likely to hit metro area […]

blog comments powered by Disqus
Daily Weather Reports Delivered To You!SIGN UP NOW: Get daily weather reports every morning from meteorologist Steve Baskerville!
CBS Sports Radio RoundupGet your latest sports talk from across the country.

Listen Live