CHICAGO (CBS) — Firefighters rescued six people who were trapped in the upper floor of a three-story apartment building fire.
It started around 1:30 a.m. near 16th and Fillmore.
Fire crews arrived to a frantic scene, with some people trying to drop children from the upper windows onto a blanket below.
Firefighters were able to rescue everyone inside.
One person was rushed to Loyola University Medical Center with severe smoke inhalation.
The fire was caused by cooking left unattended when the person cooking fell asleep, adding that smoke alarms were found but investigators were still trying to determine whether they were working.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed